Monday, April 23, 2007

Working Out

They tell us that we should exercise at least three times a week for an average of 30 minutes. That means for me, throwing on the sneakers, getting in my car and driving to the gym to turn on a treadmill to run in place for 30 minutes. It occurred to me today that this is how I feel:



I used to ride bikes, shoot basketballs, scurry after squirrels, and run away from the dog down the street (not a pleasant experience, but that's a story for another time). Essentially, I used to exercise not for the sake of exercising but for fun, for discovery, and for purpose. Not just for the sake of staying healthy. Whatever happened to that?

And then I was thinking, sometimes I do that even with my spiritual walk. I make the time in my life to hang out with God, but sometimes I do it just because I should do it to stay spiritually healthy, to get me through the day. Not to say that that's a negative thing, but sometimes I feel I'm just running on the same ideas and insights whenever I read my Bible, and even though I am encouraged to have enough energy for the day, I really yearn to be energized for the week, or at least, for the next few days.

There are a million and one ways to experience God from service, from being out in nature, from talking with people from different backgrounds, from tackling problems in different ways, from even walking to school by a different route, etc. so why must I stay on the spiritual treadmill where I sometimes find myself? I guess what I'm saying is that books, written commentary, group Bible studies, radio programs, and service projects are definitely beyond commendable to find insight and feed our faith; but, what other kinds of methods does God speak to you through? Basically, what are other ways does God talks to you out of the box (or outside the cage if you're a hamster)?

4 comments:

craig said...

Ohhhhh YES! That's so right! We're heading off to do our own life, and when do we have enough discipline, enough wisdom to know when to stop and be salt, to be light, to be taught, to be enriched by the incredible seemingly ordinary off-the-cuff situations of life? I was about to post this, but I'll just attach it here since it fits incredibly well.

We should be humble enough to be taught and corrected by those around us, and I mean everyone. Remember, every life is a gift from the Father. Can I be childlike enough to embrace it and cherish it?

May He provide us the grace to live every day to His fullest, and the Spirit to properly discern.

Grace.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html

Kirsten said...

Whooooa! What a great article! I'm stopping for every musician from now on. Although, I still seem to be unable to appreciate any kind of musical nuance despite my orchestra attendance record.

gillian said...

Yeah that was a wonderful article. The experiment revealed so much about us. I think what you said about being childlike and humble is so true. The kids were drawn to the music while everyone else rushed past. It seems like we just don't value, and even look down upon, childlike faith, when that's the only way we'll recognize the truly excellent music. Nowadays, being in total control is seen as the surest sign of maturity.

1 At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"

2 He called a little child, whom he placed among them. 3 And he said: "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes a humble place — becoming like this child — is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

craig said...

Gill. You're so cool! It's so fun to have someone to finish your thoughts like that. Thanks.