Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Christian Unity

I remember shortly after my baptism "getting serious" about paying attention during the worship service. Miss Bodiford (6th grade) was teaching me to take notes, so why couldn't it enrich the Sunday sermon for me? Amazingly, it did! That year Dr. Jim Howard brought a message of Christian unity and specifically expressed disappointment concerning the obvious lack of brotherhood and even continuing animosity with Baptist assemblies. (It was 6th grade! I can't quote him, though this is what I've taken from the message. Also, I'm sure he received all kinds of flack for that one!) Obviously, it stuck with me.

This last Sunday, an amazing thing happened. The Churches of Christ, Christian Churches, and the Disciples of Christ gathered together in downtown Austin, Texas at the Central Christian Church. It was the first joint worship service of the heirs of the Stone-Campbell Movement* in 120 years in the Greater Austin Area. I was there. We sang together, heard 3 sermons, and took Communion together. Typically, it took ~45 minutes longer than the 1.5 hrs set for it. Probably 300 were there. And typically, I cried through some of it. And not-so-typically, I said "Amen" without prompting many times.

How should Jesus' prayer for unity be fulfilled? (John 17) Though many condemn people like Martin Luther for this transgression, he never wanted a separation to occur. He wanted change within: "Reformation". (Today, the Lutheran Church probably stands closer to the Catholic church than any other body of believers.) The early 1800's heard a similar call in America, restore Christian unity. As the message of "Restoration" gained baggage, soon unity was lost among the grievances. Though my heart cries against the separation among Christian congregations, what can I do? What can we do?

"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me."

*NOTES: The Stone-Campbell Movement spawned the 3 groups above. Each look back to a tent revival at Cane Ridge, KY in 1801, and 2 primary men: Barton Stone and Alexander Campbell. But during the end of the 1800's and early 1900's these 3 groups broke fellowship with each other. In my amateur opinion, the US Civil War and our lack of compassion during the South's reconstruction created the first split. Inevitably, this set the precedence for the next tragic split. A hero of mine is a man named TB Larimore. During those dark days of disunity, he would preach in any church that asked him. He never took sides, never ranted about issues, and always simply spoke of Jesus. And he suffered for it at the hands of his own people.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

How cool is that! Wish we could've been there!